Spouse Visa

Home >Spouse Visa

Spouse Visa
If you are a US citizen there are two ways of bringing your foreign wife or husband to the United States.  There is the I
mmigrant Visa for a Spouse of a United States citizen ( IR1 or CR1).  Alternatively, there is the Non immigrant Visa for Spouse (K-3).

To look more closely at the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a United States citizen
You will need to take the following into consideration. Simply living together will not count. If you a common law spouse. Your situation will depend upon the laws of your partner’s home country. If your are in a polygamous relationship, then only the first spouse will count.


First Steps

It would be a good idea to get in contact with Visa Emperor, who can guide you through the first steps of the application process.

You will need to file a Petition For Alien Relative with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,  (USCIS), to get your spouse to the United States. It is possible for a United States citizen,living outside of the United States, to file for the petition.  Again, Visa Emperor can help you with all the details.

There does not seem to be a minimum age for a sponsor or petitioner for this visa. However, you must be 18 years or older and domicile or resident in the US in order to file an Affidavit of Support. This form is needed for the spouse and other relatives of a United States sponsor .

You and your spouse agree to remain in the United States.


You will need to have a medical examination.  Police certificates will be needed from the countries your spouse was resident in. Plus birth certificates, passports and other important documents.

What to do next


Getting started is simple, just fill out our Free Assessment form, or call us for an assessment for the most suitable visa for you.

Click for Free