Study in Germany

Home >Study in Germany

Germany is very much in the center of Europe, politically, culturally, socially and economically. For those of you interested in studying at College or University. This could be a course in Engineering, Business Studies, Medicine or Architecture, plus a lot more.
Another major plus in Germany, is that tuition in many courses is free in Universities, and at a relatively low cost in other educational institutions. You will get the opportunity to practice both your English and German. A lot of courses will be in English.  You will also have the opportunity of working in Germany, when you have completed your course.
The cost of living a month averages at between 700 and 800 Euros.  This will cover rent, health insurance, internet connections, transport etc.

Finding University or a College in Germany.
There is a wide range of good educational institutions across Germany to choose from Visa Emperor can help you narrow down your choice. There is a data base the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
The entry requirements vary for each University or College. You can find details of each course you are interested in online. Again, this is something Visa Emperor can help you with. If you are from the EU then your final High School or 6th form examinations, test results or certificates may be sufficient, as long as they match the German requirements. Students from outside Europe may have to take an entrance examination. This is the Feststellungsprufung. You may also need to take a preparatory Studienkallag.

Language Requirements

Most courses will be conducted in German. There are two main German language tests which are used to gauge the proficiency of foreign students in German. These are the Deutsche Sprachprufung fur den Hochschulzugang  (DHS).   “German Language examination for University Entrance”, and the TestDaF, which is the test of German as a foreign language.
The DHS is only offered in German. TestDaf can be taken in 90 different countries. Again, Visa Emperor will be able to help you finding one of these courses if you need it.

Each individual University or educational establishment will state the requirements it will need. This may not be needed if you are a native English speaker or you have studied English. Otherwise, you will have expected to have reached a certain level in an IELTS or TOEFL course of English.

You can apply directly to the University or College or use the DAAD database.  Please note, not all German Universities etc use this.
German Universities etc, use two semesters. The winter one starts in September, the summer one starts in March.  Applications for winter courses need to be by 15th of July and the summer courses by the 15th of January.
You will need the following Documents:

You will need certified copies made of all your High School test grades, examination pass, certificates etc, in the native language.
A translated summary of these grades and diplomas. (Possibly in both German and English?)
A passport photograph.
A copy of the details page in your passport which includes your passport photograph.
showing proof of your language proficiency.  This will include certificates etc. This could in German and possibly English, depending upon the initial course you undertake.

Visa Options
There are various visa options available. These include:
Student Applicant Visa.
This is design for students coming to Germany who have not yet had a course offer from a German University or a Foundation Course. This gives you up to three months to meet the requirements of a course you may be interested in. This visa can be extended to a further 6 months.
Student Visa
If you are accepted at a German University or Further Education Institution, you can apply for a student visa. This will most likely be for three months. You should then apply for a residence permit. You get these from the center in the University town you are studying in.

Documents Required for the Student Visa.
This is something that Visa Emperor can help you with. You will also need to get in contact with your nearest German Embassy or Consulate in your home country. You will need to show the embassy or consulate the following documents during a meeting.

Residence Permit
If you find accommodation you must notify the Resident Registration Office within a week. You should then receive a Confirmation of Registration.  Every time you move to a new area in Germany this has to be undertaken.  This applies equally to both Germans and non- Germans. You will need to take with you your passport and identification card if you have one, and the residency agreement you have with your landlord.

You will also need the following:
You will need a certificate of health insurance coverage. If you are from the European Union (EU) and most European Countries, should cover you. Check the policy in your own country to see if that covers you. If not, you can take out a German public health insurance. This will be 80 Euros a month, under the age of 30. After that it is 160 Euros a month.
Notification of admission to a German University or College.
A number of passport photographs.
Proof of your German language proficiency. This will mean the DHS or TestDaF. This may not be needed initially in your course, but you may well have to show proficiency in English. That means you have completed a suitable TOEFL course or an IELTS qualification. This will be down to the requirement of individual Universities etc. Once registered you will get a Student ID card. This can be used as a pass on public transport in the city you are in as well.

Finding Work as Well
If you are an EU or EEA citizen (not Bulgaria or Romania) you can work part time. This is full time work 90 days a year or part time work 180 days a year. Once you are in Germany you need to apply for a work permit. Studying in Germany seems pretty straightforward and logical.  The main problem might be language, but that does not seem to be insurmountable. If you have any inquiries or questions do not hesitate to get in contact with Visa Emperor who are always willing to help.

What to do next


Getting started is simple, just fill out our Free Assessment form, or call us for an assessment for the most suitable visa for you.

Click for Free