Study in Europe

Home >Study in Europe

Europe as a whole is a diverse range of different countries. Most now are advanced economically and socially.  They all share a rich culture and history.  The European Commission runs a programme for prospective students wanting to study in further education, at undergraduate, post graduate and for a doctorate or PhD. This covers 33 countries in Europe, including the 27 currently in the European Union (EU).  For any more details on this please get in contact with Visa Emperor.

Language and Currency
There are 24 officially recognized languages across Europe. However, there is no need to worry, 54% of Europeans can converse in another language.  Most higher education institutions run a course in their native language along with English and other major international languages.

Most European countries use the Euro. This is a pretty stable currency and is usually pegged just above the US dollar. There are a number of other currencies such as the Swedish Krona and the British Pound Sterling.

How To Apply. Start By Finding A Course.
This best way to go about this is to make a decision which course you want to undertake and then look at the possibilities open to you at different universities across Europe.  Look carefully at their web site. What academic and language requirements they might have.  What support they might have with accommodation and facilities. How much their courses cost, plus do they offer any help with this.  You may have a strong feeling about going to Ireland or France for example.  You will need to look carefully at the difference between different countries.  Some will be more expensive than others.  Visa conditions vary from country to country across Europe.  You will have to weigh up the differences between say Berlin and London, which are  very dynamic and mulch cultural, but are expensive, with a more rural or regional university, but which could be less expensive.
Working Part Time
Overall in world terms Europe does work out a lot cheaper than other parts of the world for education costs.  In fact in some European countries, such as Germany, are free. There are opportunities to work part time during holidays or vacations. This could be a good way to supplement your income.  The amount of time you will be allowed to work part time while you study will depend upon the requirements of where you are studying and any conditions you may have with individual education institutions and the visa requirements of that particular country. Again, this is something Visa Emperor can help you with.

Financial Help
There are up to 100,000 sponsorship schemes along with options for financial support across Europe. This can be the entire tuition fee or part of it, along with general financial support with living costs. This is again an area that Visa Emperor can help you with.  You can start by looking at individual European countries to see what they may have available. If you are thinking of taking a Masters degree or a Doctorate, there are Erasmus Mundas Joint Doctoring schemes available in EU countries. This includes the rate plus the Erasmus Mundas Joint Masters Degree. There are also a number of other opportunities that can be looked into.

There is also an Erasmus+ Master Loan, that is offered by the EU. There is a one year loan offering 12000 Euros, and a two year loan of 1800 Euros.  However, this does not appear to be open to nationals outside of the 33 European Erasmus States. You do need to move from your home country to a different country, within Europe where you took your bachelor’s degree, as a condition for getting this loan. It is possible for International students to get a Erasmus+ loan for courses in the 33 European countries. This will cover your you for Higher Education courses of between 3 and 12 months.

For advanced research and postdoctoral work there are two organizations that can help with funding. These are EURAXESS and Horizon 2020.

Many Universities and Colleges across Europe have Halls of Residence. These are specially built accommodation for students.  They often have a communal social area, laundry, and possibly a food hall.  These can be either mixed sex or separate sex units. You will probably have your own individual bedroom and they are reasonably priced.

There is also private renting as another option. The College or University you are attending may well have details of suitable private landlords.  You can share a house with other students to bring down costs. Plus, you may want to live with a “family” that will be able to provide you with accommodation, along with regular meals.

In looking for accommodation you will also have to be careful.  Is the area you plan to move to safe to live in?  What is the transportation like to the college or university?  Is there a quiet place to study in the building? What state is the building in? Some parts of northern Europe can become very cold in the winter. There are also general costs, like the rent, food, heating lighting, electricity.  Can you pick up Wi Fi? Does the property have a web connection.  Also, is everything there? Does it have cooking utensils, a proper fridge etc.

Health Insurance.
As part of your visa application you may be asked to take out health insurance. Public health insurance systems are common across Europe. The UK has the National Health Service NHS. You will need to find out if your national health insurance is compatible with the European country you want to study in. If not, you will probably need to arrange one for the country you want to study in. Visa Emperor can look into this for you.

Visa Requirements
Once you have been accepted at a European College or University, then this is usually the time to fill out a visa application form. There will be a unique visa for each European country. They will all probably require the following:
An up to date passport. This will have to cover the entire period you intend to study in that particular country, plus an extension of a few months.

  • Passport photographs
  • Evidence of your qualifications.  This will also be the case with the educational institutions you wish to study in. In general, you will need to make sure that the qualifications from your home country are compatible with those required from the European College or University.  Each country has its own education system and qualification.  You will need clarification for this from the institution you are applying to.
  • A Medical Insurance certificate or something similar.
  • Evidence of funding. This could be documentation showing you have sponsorship or recent bank statements along with savings accounts.
  • Possible evidence of a residence in your place of study and a confirmation that you will return to your home country at the end of your studies. vPossibly a medical check and police records, showing you have not committed any crimes etc.

Visa Emperor has had experience in dealing with visa arrangements in different European countries.  We will be able to help you with your specific visa application.

What to do next


Getting started is simple, just fill out our Free Assessment form, or call us for an assessment for the most suitable visa for you.

Click for Free