Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass (187) work visa
Home > Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass (187) work visa
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass (187) work visa
RSMS Update: As the new visa “Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa” Visa Subclass 494, was rolled out on 16 Nov, 2019, the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187) direct entry (DE) stream closed to new visa applications.
This is a means getting employment in Australia is you are sponsored by an Australian Employer. It will give you the following benefits:
- You can work and stay in Australia permanently.
- You will be able to use the Australian educational systems to help you study.
- You can use health and social care. This includes enrolling in Australian Medicare.
- You can also apply for permanent residency in Australia.
- You can also bring in relatives to Australia through sponsorship schemes.
- You can come in and out of Australia as much as you like for the first five years.
You will be required to take a skills test. You will then be nominated by a specific Australian Employer. The Australian Government also wants potential employees to move away from the more crowded sites. Australia is a very large country. So there are lots of requirements across Australia for employment. Therefore, you will not be able to go to Wollongong, Melbourne, Newcastle, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold coast. Again, this does not have to be a worry, if you have the right skill or professional background.
There are also these specific requirements:
- Nomination by an approved Australian employer. This is for a job in the regional areas.
- You must be less than 50 years old.
- You must show that you meet all the requirements in skills, education and including the English Language. There may be exemptions.
- You fulfill character and health requirements. Character requirements means police checks. You need to have valid and certified copies of all your police records from all the countries you have lived in. You also have to show evidence that you are in good health by showing appropriate health records. There may also be a health check.
- There need to be checks made by the Regional Certifying Body (RCB) showing that all the criteria has been met by employers.
There are three different streams you can consider for applying for in the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass (187) visa.
1. Temporary Residence Transition Stream
This applies to anyone who is currently under the Temporary Work (skilled) Subclass 457 visa. They will have been working for two years already for the employer who sponsored them originally. You now want permanent employment in your present occupation.
The employer must also be taking part in a recognized labour agreement. Any company or organization must also have been accredited by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection. (DIBP) as being able to undertake this Temporary Residence Transition Stream visa.
2. Direct Entry Stream
This is for one who has never worked in Australian , or has only briefly worked there. You may hold a Temporary Work (skilled) Subclass 457 visa, but have problems obtaining a Temporary Residence Transition Stream. Therefore, you can apply under this stream to get permanent work in Australia. You must also be outside of Australia when you apply.
3. Agreement Stream
This is where you have been sponsored by your potential employer through a labor agreement.
- The first stage is that you must be part of one of these three streams.
- Your potential employer needs to submit a nomination to the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You have to apply in less than six months if your nomination has been approved.
It is important to look at this area pretty carefully. For full details on all your visa requirements you can visit this official Australian Government web site:
All the information you will need will be on this site. A word of warning, however. There is a lot of detail here. You could easily get lost in all of this. It would be best if you did start writing a check list. You will need to make sure that all the important points are covered. If you leave anything out or make a mistake, you could jeopardize your chance of getting the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass (187) work visa.
There are a number of reputable and reliable online agencies that you could use. There would be a payment involved, but this might make your life a lot easier in the long run if you want the application process to run smoothly, by joining one of these schemes, after a careful initial analysis.
Again look closely at the official Australian Web link, or an agency you may be using for details about how to send the application documents on line. All major credit cards are acceptable for payment as well.
Be patient, it may take several months for an official reply from the DIBP.
If all goes well, you will receive a positive reply and you will be able to move to Australia and start working there.
Types of employment available
It is nothing to worry about. It covers many professions and skill areas.
This is a sample of the occupations that can be found on the official ACT .:
- Bed and Breakfast Operator
- Beef Cattle Farmer
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer(Avionics)
By looking on line you can see what occupations are available, and in what territory, state or city.
Each occupation is backed up by an official body. They have certified each occupation on this list. You must also make sure you fulfill the qualification and skills requirements for each post.
The Australian Immigration uses one of these two English Language Test examinations to verify your level of English competency, IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and OET (Occupational English Test).
These are the two links to these organizations:
Even if you are a pretty good native English speaker, it would pay not to be too complacent. Getting a good score in either to these two test systems will go a long way in getting you a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme subclass (187) work visa. You will have to demonstrate you have good English language skills if you want to work and live permanently in Australia.
You will have to be very systematic, methodically and logical in your approach when applying for this visa. Everything has to be correct at each step of the way. If you are in an occupation that is needed in Australia, there is no reason why you can’t go there and live there permanently, if you go about this visa application process carefully.