Canada – Immigrant Investor Visa
Home > Canada Immigrant Investor Visa
Immigrant Investor Visa
The Federal Immigrant Investor and Entrepreneur Visa has been closed as of June 19th, 2014. However, there are other avenues that can be explored for business men and women interested in investing in Canada.
The federal govt investor programs in Canada are currently not available, though there are alternatives depending on the provincial needs. Instead of an investor visa, Canadian provinces now offer Entreprenuer visas which requires the applicant to start and manage a business in Canada. Programs are also available to buy or invest in a running business.
Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
Quebec Province does have a similar scheme, the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program. This has been revised on the 1st of January 2020.
Under the previous Federal Immigrant Investor and Entrepreneur visa, Canada was looking for experienced business men and women to invest in Canada. They should show that they were experienced business people. That they had funds and a net worth of $1,600,000 CAD. That they could have invested $800,000 CAD, in Canada.
This was a guaranteed investment. Citizens and Immigration Canada (CIC) returned the full amount of the investment, without interest, after 5 years and 3 months. The CIC used parts of your investment in those provinces and territories that were interested in taking part. This went towards creating employment in these regions.
Under this previous scheme, please note, you needed to make your investment first before applying to be a permanent resident, if your investment had been approved. This would take around thirty days.
Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
As stated, this program is already up and running. Applications are limited to 1900. Of these, no more than 1330 should come from Macao, Hong Kong and the Republic of China. If you are at all interested in this particular program, please be aware that places fill up very quickly, and you will need to start making plans now, before the quota is reached. It would be a very good idea to get in contact with Visa Emperor to help you with this.
You will need to have an advanced intermediate knowledge of French. This will entail a language test recognized by the Quebec government.
As per the new guidelines, to be eligible for the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program, you must:
- Have the required net worth and possess legally acquired net assets of at least C$2,000,000, excluding any amounts received by donation less than six months before your application is submitted. This can be on either your and or spouse/partner’s name.
- Show verifiable business management experience of at least two years in the last five years. This experience must include duties related to the planning, management and control of financial, human or material resources under your control.
- Have a genuine Intention to settle in Québec state.
- Be ready to sign on an investment agreement with a finance broker or trust company, authorized to participate in the Quebec Investor Program
- Pledge to make a term investment for 5 years of CAD$1,200,000 with Investissement Québec – Immigrants Investisseurs Inc.
- Obtain for yourself and migrating family dependents, before the advised deadline, an attestation and proof of learning about democratic values and the Québec values.
Your application will also be assessed on other factors, such as your age, education and language skills.
Other important information:
- This investment of CAD$1,200,000 which is for five years is guaranteed by the Government of Québec.
- The designated Brokers and trust companies offer possibility of financing the investment and may get you some loan.
- After the end of the five years period, designated broker or trust company will reimburse the applicant the full amount of CAD$1,200,000 without interest, within 30 days of the finished 5 years term.
Generally, for an approval in this visa category, you will need to show that you have been responsible for the planning and control of fiances, resources and employment. As a manager you must show that you have been responsible for at least five employees, that would have been employed full time. You should show that you have been managing an enterprise or business for at least two years over a five year period. This should be prior to your application for this visa. This covers the following areas, legal, farming, financial, commercial or industrial businesses. This could include examples such as law films, accountancy offices and medical practices.
Along with specific language requirements the following will be needed in all Canadian province and territories, police checks, and medical checks. Police records from your home country must show that you have not been involved in any criminal activity or linked in any way to terrorist groups.
This applies to every visa application involving the transfer of money. If you bring more than $10,000 CAD into Canada, you need to notify the Canadian authorities first, and explain why you need to move this amount of money across the border. If not, your money could be taken from you and you may be fined. This includes cash, bonds, securities, traveler’s checks and banker’s drafts etc.
If you and/or business partners pass these four main criteria then you can move onto an immigration program that will give you and any family remembers, the right to stay in Canada permanently. This will be done through the IRCC, and Visa Emperor will help you in every way with this.
Please note that again there will be medical, police and security checks. If a letter of Support was needed by the organization supporting your investment, this will need an independent peer review to confirm that due diligence has taken place.