Graduate Engineers Work Visa (Subclass 476)

Home >Graduate Engineers Work Visa (Subclass 476)

Graduate Engineers Work Visa (Subclass 476)

This is an ideal opportunity for a young in engineering wanting to extend their experience in Australia, You need to be under the age of 31. You should have graduated, in the last two years, from a recognized education established. This entitles you to work in Australia for 18 months. The over cost from the government is $365 AUD. There is a 75% chance, if all your documentation is in order, that your application will be processed in 49 days.

Also,you should not already hold a Recognized Graduate visa (subclass 476) or a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. Unless this was in connection with a family member.

This work visa will allow you to work, study and travel in Australia. You can be either inside or outside of Australia, when you make the application.

You will need to show your language abilities. Plus pass the requirements for medical checks. You will need to be of good character. This will involve police checks.

Your degree must be either a Bachelor degree, a Masters degree, Doctoral degree (PhD), or a postgraduate diploma.

You should have covered the following specialist areas and been a major focus:

  • material and mining engineering
  • plant engineering and mechanical production
  • electronics and electrical engineering
  • environmental engineering
  • chemical engineering
  • structural engineering
  • civil engineering.

You will need to check with the agency that is helping you with the application, to make sure that your university or college is recognized. All institutions recognized under the “Washing Accord” will be. There are specific institutions in certain countries that will also be recognized.

Again this will have to be checked. Affiliated institutions linked to recognized universities and colleges will not be accepted. .

English Language Skills

If you are from the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland, plus you have a valid passport, then you will meet the English Language requirements. Otherwise, you will have to pass a recognized English as a Foreign Language test. Again, full details of these can be supplied by your agency.

Health Requirements

You will need an authorized examination prior to your visa application. This may vary from country to country. Again full details can be provided regarding this.

Character Checks

.You will need on for each 12 month period or more in each country you have possibly lived in. This covers a period of 10 years. Wait until the Australian authorities contact for you for these details. This will also apply to any accompanying family members.

Debts to the Australian Government

There must be no outstanding debts to the Australian Government. Alternatively, you have made arrangements tp pay any of these debts back.

Family Members

You can also include your spouse or partner along with your children, or the step children of the spouse or partner. There must be full documentary evidence showing their relationship to you. Plus full medical and character checks for each family member. There will also be full medical checks needed, for each family member.

How to Apply

You must have (and any family members) a valid and up to date pass port. If your passport is about to go out of date, you must get it renewed prior to the application.

You will need all the documentation asked for by the Australian authorities. You will need to make “certified” copies of each document. A certified copy is a copy that has been authorized by an official and authorized lawyer or solicitor. Do not send any original documents unless they are asked for. This might be the case with the police check documentation. Any translations into English must be done by a translator who is accredited.

Applications On Line

This can be done by setting up an “ImmiAccount” :

This is the official secure Australian immigration applications web site. How to set up the account, log in and process your information will be explained on line.

Application by Post or Courier

You will need Form 1276. This can be printed off from the official government web site in pdf format. All the documentation along with certified copies will then be sent to:

Adelaide General Skilled Migration Processing Centre.

Once you have sent off the Application Forms

If you have set up an “ImmiAccount”, you can keep track of your application on line. You may be asked for additional information. This could be if the information is incomplete or there might be the need for an X-ray, for example.

You may also be asked to go to an interview. You will need your passport and possibly other identification, along with any relevant documentation that might be needed.


If your visa has been accepted then you will be given a visa grant number, the dates you can use the visa and any conditions in respect to your visa.

If your visa application has been refused, You may be able to have this reviewed with the help of a sponsor. This will be fully explained to you.

Any Changes

If there are any changes in your circumstances during the visa application process such as a change in your address, a new baby etc You can use your ImmiAccount .

Alternatively, you can print out Form 929 for changes in your address or passport, or Form 1022, for other changes in your circumstances.


Before going, it would be good idea to do some research on the areas of engineering that match your skills and specialism. Possibly, make contact with some companies and sound them out regarding a work placement, plus the chance to have some “hands on” experience.

Obviously, there are opportunities in the mining and extraction industries. However, Australia has an advanced economy operating in a variety of different fields.

Do not be put off by the via application process. It may seem pretty daunting at first. A good agency will provide help and guidance in filling out your application form. They will high light the areas that are important and documents you will need.

This will guarantee success in getting you an Australian work visa in engineering.



What to do next


Getting started is simple, just fill out our Free Assessment form, or call us for an assessment for the most suitable visa for you.

Click for Free