Federal Skilled Worker

Home > Federal Skilled Worker

Federal Skilled Worker

There is a need for qualified Federal Skilled Workers in Canada. This will give you the chance of having a secure occupation, along with obtaining permanent residency in Canada.  The Federal Skilled Worker Visa is one of a number of different routes that are on offer for workers with a good skills back ground.  It is also part of the Express Entry pool scheme, which is an online system for speeding up the application process.

There will be an assessment procedure, that is run by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), which will determine if you are eligible to be allowed entry to Canada, as a permanent resident.

The Minimum Requirements that will be needed are:
  • You must have been working for at least a year. This breaks down to 1560 hours worked during a 30hour working week. This could be continuous full time work.  Alternatively, part time work can be taken into consideration.
  • Volunteer work and internships etc., do not count.
  • You should have been in the same job or occupation.
  • The work should have been undertaken over the last ten years.
  • The occupation that you are in, and wish to apply for, must be part of the Citizenship andImmigration Canada (CIC) list of approved occupations.
  • Another route to consider is a PhD student, who has been enrolled in an  international students. scheme.


National Occupation Clarification. (NOC)

This is a list of different occupations and how each type of occupation will be assessed.  Skill level A or B along with skill type O will be considered “skilled occupations”, and thus can be considered part of the Federal Skilled Workers visa application.


To summarize:

These skill levels and types are part of the Canadian Skilled Worker Visa Scheme.

  • Skill Type O.  Managerial: This includes a manager in a mine, someone who manages a restaurant and a fishing shore captain.
  • Skill Level A. Professional:  These are for people that have taken part in a specialist University Course. Examples of these occupations would be Dentists, Architects and Doctors.
  • Skill Level B.  Skilled and Technical Trades: This includes those workers who have undertaken recognized college courses gaining a diploma and/or an apprenticeship. Mainly trade workers for example, this group covers electricians, chefs and plumbers.

The following categories are probably outside of the scope of the Canadian Skilled Worker Visa Scheme.

  • Skill Level C.  Intermediate Work and Jobs: This would be someone with a background from a Vocational High School.  This may or may not have been combined with “on the job” training.  Examples of this kind of work include, butchers, truck drivers involved in long haul transportation. Anyone serving food and beverages.
  • Skill Level D. Labor Work.  This would cover anyone who has only been given “on the job” training. This would be any one involved in causal agricultural work, cleaning work, or general work on oil fields.


Express Entry

If you are Skill type O and at Skill Level A or B you can consider using the online Express Entry Pool.

Apart from the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you can also apply for either the Federal Skills Trade Program or the Canadian Experience Class, using Express Entry.  

If You Are Skill Level C OR D, Do Not Give Up Hope.

You can apply as a provincial nominee. You can also work in Canada for up to two years.

Matching Your Skills with What Is Available.

You can find your skill type, code and note down the NOC job title. This will outline the duties expected from you and the responsibilities expected in the job.  This will be a quick way of assessing what is out there.


Language Ability

This step is really critical stage for anyone wanting to enter Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker.

 Canada is bilingual. For most provinces and territories English will be spoken, but especially in Quebec, French is the main language.

 You have to take a language Test

This test is regulated and approved by the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

 It is not at all advisable to send your test results separately. This could result in your overall visa application being a failure.  When you arrive in Canada and are seen by immigration, the original copy of the test score will also need to be seen.

Depending on where you want to go, you will be expected to have a high level of competency in either French or English.


These two Canadian authorities have the main responsibility for monitoring these two language tests :

  • The Canadian Language Bench Mark CLB (English)
  • Niveauxde competence linquistique candaniens (NCLC) (French)

Your test results are valid for up to two years.  Do not “drag out” the visa application process, as if there is a delay in processing your visa, you may have to take the test again.

 Even If You Consider Yourself a Good English Speaker, You Will Still Need To Prepare

Your may be bilingual yourself, or you speak a specific style of English.  Spellings vary from US to UK English. There are even subtle variations between Canadian and Australian English. If you are from Philippines, Nigeria or India, for example, you will have a distinctive style of speaking English. You will need to get familiar with the type of English you will find in the test. You are only allowed to take either of these two English courses, and be tested in these only.

  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Language Index Program (CELPIP). You have to take the CELPIP general test.  No other test is allowed.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This is a well-known international English course, which can be found in many countries around the world. Be careful as well, that you take the General Training option.

The acceptable French course has four different components:

  • Test d’ evaluation de (TEF). :
  • Comprehension de l ‘ecrit.
  • Comprehension de l’orale
  • Expression ecrite
  • Expression orale

This is again a key part of the Federal Skilled Worker Visa application and must be taken seriously. There are also a number of other important considerations.



You need to have completed your education to at least to High School or Secondary level.  This can include College, Degree and Post graduate courses. This applies to any technical courses as well.

You will have to make sure all your examination qualifications are equivalent to comparable qualifications in Canada.

What is needed is an Education Credentials Assessment or ECA.  This is done by designated Canadian education authorities that will rank your educational qualifications. You will be awarded a test result to show that your qualifications can be verified and are comparable to equivalent Canadian qualifications.  This is done through a designated organization.


To Summarize

You will be selected on the following criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker Visa

  • Your skills in French and/or English
  • Your general level of Education
  • Your previous work experience
  • Your current age.
  • If you already have a valid job offer from a Canadian Company
  • Will you able to settle successfully in Canada and adapt to a new country and its’ culture.


Other Factors

Proof of Funds: In support of your visa application, you will have to show the visa officer that you have enough finances to take care of you and your family for the initial 6 months of your stay in Canada.


Applicant’s Family Members Funds To Show(in $CAN)
1 $12,164
2 $15,143
3 $18,617
4 $22,603
5 $25,636
6 $28,913
7+ $32,191

Exemption to fund show: You will be exempted to show funds if you have a job offer from a Canadian employer, which is valid or you are currently legally employed in Canada.

To Conclude

It is possible to miss out important points that could be critical for your Federal Skilled Worker Visa application.  You may also be unfamiliar with dealing with this kind of application process and the knowledge required behind the scenes.

As an alternative, you can hire ICS Visas Simply which can help you process the visa, and get you to Canada, as a Federal Skilled Worker.

What to do next


Getting started is simple, just fill out our Free Assessment form, or call us for an assessment for the most suitable visa for you.

Click for Free