Federal Skilled Worker Point Test

Home > Federal Skilled Worker Point Test

Federal Skilled Worker Point Test

In order to qualify for a Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Visa you must pass the Point Test.  You need to score a minimum total of 67 points out of 100.

In order to qualify for a Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Visa you must pass the Point Test.  You need to score a minimum total of 67 points out of 100.


Main Categories

There is a points grid for each of these main categories:

They are:

  • Your French and/or English Skills
  • Your overall Education
  • Any previous work experience you may have had.
  • Your Age.
  • If you have arranged employment in Canada.
  • You can adapt, integrate, and learn to live in Canada.



This will give you a maximum of 28 points.  Canada has two official languages, English and French.

Being really proficient in either would be very useful. If you speak both languages very well, then this would give you a distinct advantage in the Canadian job market. French could well be needed. This especially true in the province of Quebec, as well as in Montreal, a major Canadian city. It is also the case in some other Canadian Provinces.

The 28 points is further broken down into four major areas for both of these languages:

  • listen
  • speak
  • read
  • write

Any agency you use for your test, in your home country, must be approved of by the Citizenship and immigration Canada (CIC). 


What you will have to do

You will need to schedule and sit the test where you are.  You will have to pay for it. You send your test results along with your visa application to the Canadian Immigration Authorities.  Do do not send the results separately. This might result in you failing the visa application. Your application will be returned to you.

A copy may well have to be seen when you enter Canada, by the immigration authorities. The test results will be used to assess your language skills. There are charts on the official web site, that can be used to assess, precisely, what points you have gained.

The test results will remain valid for less than two years.  Depending upon the visa you have applied for, if you delay too long with your application, you may find that your test results are out of date.  In the case of the Express Entry Visa profile, for example, the profile is only valid for 12 months.


Accepted Language Tests


For English tuition and for the test itself, there are two accepted language teaching providers:

Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)  

This is largely a Canadian based system.

They offer two tests.  Do not take the General-LS test. The test you should take is the CELPIP-General test.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

This is a recognized English Language testing system that is widely used in many parts of the world.

Again, there are two testing options. Do not take the “Academic” test.  You must take the “General Training Option” test and course.


Test d’evaluation de francaise 

You will have to show a high level of competency across these four categories.  

  • Comprehension de l’ecrit
  • Comprehension de l orale
  • Expression ecrit
  • Expression


A Word of Warning

You may come from an English-speaking country, or from a country where English is widely used.  You feel there is no need to prepare and that you can just sit the test and get a good enough score.

There are a number of different forms of spoken and written English around the world.  There are different spellings. Plus, there are also different grammatical forms and idioms.  Therefore, take some preparatory lessons, and get familiar with what you might find in the test.

The same is equally true for French speakers as well.


 Canadian Language Bench Marks (CLB)

This is the system that is used to assess your language test score. You must obtain a minimum score of CLB7 across all the four categories which are assessed, for your main language, English or French. These categories are listening, speaking, reading and writing.

If you are offering a second language, English or French, you must score on average a score of 5 points, across the four different categories.



You must show that you either, have valid Canadian Educational Qualification or, gained qualifications that can be accepted by Citizens and Immigration Canada (CIC) as comparable to equivalent Canadian qualifications.  Again, clarification regarding this can be found on the official Canadian Immigration website.

You will have to go through an ECA or your Educational Credential Assessment, for either your Canadian qualifications or qualifications you bring with you from abroad.

The points are allocated according to the following criteria:

  • A PhD at directorial level or equivalent will equal 25 points.
  • University Degree at Masters level (MA or MSC) or a professional degree.  This includes, includes Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinarian Medicine, Pharmacy, Chiropractic Medicine, and Podiatry.  Any of these, if validated, will give you 23 points.
  • Two or more degrees or diplomas obtained after high school or secondary school. One of these courses must have lasted 3 years or more. This is equal to 22 points.
  • One degree or diploma, taken after High School or Secondary School equals 21 points.
  • Any two-year degree or diploma, taken after High School or Secondary school will give you 19 points.
  • A one year diploma, post high school or secondary school will give you 15 points.
  • A High School diploma or Secondary School qualifications will only give only 5 points.



This is based upon the number of years you have worked.  The calculation assumes a minimum 30 hour week and/or the equivalent in part time work.
To summarize:

  • Skill Type Zero (O): Managerial: For example a manger of a restaurant
  • Skill Level A: Professional:For example, an architect or a doctor.
  • Skill Level B: Technical and Skilled Trades: For example, a chef or an electrician.
  • Skill Level C: Intermediate: Jobs that have required work based training, or High School, butchers, hairdressers etc.
  • Skill Level D: Laborers: cleaners, seasonal agricultural workers etc.

It is very important to note that you have to be Skill Type O or Skill Level A or B, if you want to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

If you want to make an application for an occupation in Canada and see what work there is in Canada, then it is possible to make an inquiry using a link on the above web site. You can find the type of skill you have, by scrolling down the lists on line. You will see there is a very extensive list of different occupations there that could well match your skills and experience.



The ages range from 18 to 35, where you will get the maximum 12 points, down to 46 where you will get 1 point.  You have to be less than 50 and above 18 years old or more, to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Visa.



If you have already arranged a permanent job as a Federal Skilled Worker with a Canadian Employer, and it is Skill Type O or Skill Levels A or B, then you will get the full ten points.  The work will also have to be listed under the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

You will see there are a number of different options. Look closely at the various conditions that could apply to you

  • If you are working at present on a temporary work permit.
  • Your employer has made you a permanent job offer. This could be part of an International Trade Agreement or a Federal Agreement.
  • A different employer has now given you a job offer.


Further Requirements:

 Police Checks:

If you apply to become a permanent resident in Canada, you must present the Canadian Immigration authorities with a valid police check from your home country.


You must get a police certificate from every country you have lived in for six months or more.


What if I have committed a criminal offense in my home country?

The following will debar you from entry to Canada:

  • If you have committed a theft.
  • If you had committed man slaughter.
  • Had been involved in an act of dangerous driving
  • Driving under the influence of dangerous drugs or alcohol.

You have been trafficking and dealing with drugs and dangerous substances.  You have been in procession of dangerous drugs and substances.

Also, any offenses deemed as felonies under United States Law.


Medical Examination

You must have a medical examination prior to entering Canada.  You will need to find a “panel physician” in your home country, to undertake this examination.

Your own doctor cannot do this examination. The medical practitioner has to be approved by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada. (CIC)


How to Apply Express Entry

The system used now is Express Entry.  With this you can create an online Express Entry profile which is free. If you have been successful with all the elements of the Federal Skills Worker Points Test, this will provide a quick method of gaining entry to Canada and gain permanent employment.



This can be considered as an alternative system to the Federal Skilled Worker Point Test or as an addition to it. The same criteria and test marks are used here, but there are additions. The scoring system is different, but the overall criteria applied is the same. This points system is part of the Express Entry Pool System. These points will be used to pick up the brightest of the slot, the ones with the highest score in the cut-out draw will be invited to apply for Canada Permanent Residency.

To outline the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Under this system there is a total of 1200 points maximum.

This system is broken down into four main sections:

  • Skills and Experience
  • A Spouse or Common Law Partner with comparable skills etc.
  • Transferable Skills
  • Additional Points

There is a very detailed and comprehensive ranking system used by Canadian Immigration, to evaluate a Federal Skilled Worker using the Express Entry Pool system.

Looking at the Skills and Experience category first. This is further split into an individual entry or an entry with a Spouse or a common-law partner.


Core: Factors concerning Human Capital:
  • Age Total Points: With a Spouse: 100 points. Without Spouse: 110 points.
  • Educational Level: With a Spouse: 140 points. Without a Spouse: 150 points.
  • Official Languages Skills: With a Spouse: 150 points.  Without a Spouse: 160 points.
  • Canadian Work Experience: With a Spouse: 70 points. Without a Spouse: 80 points.


Common Law or Spouse Factors: (Maximum 40 points)
  • Education level: 10 points
  • Proficiency in the official language: 20 points
  • Work Experience in Canada: 10 points


Transferable Skills Factors: (Maximum 100 points)
  • Very Good Official Language Skills and a post-secondary (high School) degree:  50 points.
  • Canadian Work Experience and a post-secondary (high School) degree:  50 points.


Transferable Skills (Maximum 100 points)
  • Excellent official language skills combined with a post High School or secondary degree; 50 points maximum.
  • Canadian work experience combined with a post High School or secondary degree; 50 points maximum.



These are some of the additional factors that can help you gain

  • Points can be added if you have partner with a language core of CLB 4 in English or French: 5 points.
  • You have studied in Canada at Secondary/High School level or higher of two years or more: 5 points
  • Your spouse or partner has studied in Canada for two academic years or more: 5 points.
  • You have worked in Canada for at least a year: 10 points.


Foreign work experience (Maximum of 50 points)

  • A high language score (Canadian Language Bench Mark CLB of 7 or more)plus Canadian Work Experience, could give you a maximum score of 10 points.
  • A Combination of both Canadian and foreign work experience, could give you a maximum of 10 points.



The Canadian official site is very logically laid out, with pretty much all the information you will need there.

However, some of the material can become very technical.  A case in point is the Arranged Employment in Canada Section, as well as the point test system used for the Express Entry Pool.

 You may miss out on an opportunity. Alternatively, you could get lost and confused and make a mistake with your application. This might prevent you from getting it.

It would therefore be a good idea to find a reliable and experienced agency that can deal with the trickier problems and help you to get permanent employment as a Federal Skilled Worker in Canada.

What to do next


Getting started is simple, just fill out our Free Assessment form, or call us for an assessment for the most suitable visa for you.

Click for Free